Happy Holidays from the Moulton Ranch! We have been creating holiday at the homestead memories for over one hundred years. This month, we celebrate Nellie Gail Moulton’s 144th birthday on December 8th
Happy Birthday, Nellie Gail Moulton! Nellie was born in Irving, Kansas on December 8, 1878. Nellie photographed overlooking Horseshoe Falls (towards Canada), Niagara Falls, New York, c. 1930. (2017.05.142)
“At Moulton Museum we manage our resources carefully and have great respect for our donors and their contributions. We encourage you to accept the Spirit of Giving Challenge and donate today. Every dollar counts. We look forward to you joining our Moulton Museum family.”
– Jared Mathis, President
Please make your year-end donation to our Spirit of Giving campaign.
Check out our website for more information.
Visit us on Tuesdays from 11am-3pm and on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays by appointment to explore 1874: Into the West and Nellie’s Gallery.
Moulton Museum | Nellie's Gallery
Nellie Gail Moulton, Coastline Cliff, oil on artist’s board, Courtesy of Moulton Museum
Nellie Gail Moulton, Untitled, oil on canvas, n.d. . On loan from Chapman University
Nellie Gail Moulton, Coastline, Oil on masonite, On loan from Bowers Museum
Visit Nellie’s Gallery to see her installation of en plein air fine art and sketches until December 31, 2022.
We are now accepting tour bookings for local schools. Make reservations today! Email Jennifer Keil, Museum Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
From the Archive
Letter to Lewis F. Moulton Esq. on December 30th 1903 ( 2018.36.1635)
Did You Know?
- December 3, 1938 – Lewis Fenno Moulton died at the age of 84 years old at his home “shortly after noon.”
- December 8, 1878 – Nellie Gail Moulton was born in Irving, Kansas to
John Lockwood Gail (1848–1926) and Prudence Adelia Stoneman Gail (1853–1894). She grew up in Nebraska.
- December 14, 1945 – USO issued a Meritorious Service award to L. F. Moulton & Company during WWII.
- December 28, 1945 – Nellie gave $1,000 to be added “to the Endowment Fund of the Gallery to keep build up a permanent backlog for the Association.” This art association became the Laguna Art Museum.
- December 30, 1914 – Louise Marie Moulton was born to Nellie Moulton at 36 years old and Lewis at 60 years old in El Toro at the Moulton Ranch.
Do you have any personal collections that pertain to Rancho Niguel or Moulton Ranch? Please send us a digital copy to email@example.com. Let us know if you’d like to become a volunteer.
Share this newsletter with a friend and follow us on our social media accounts @moultonmuseum. View it online at moultonmuseum.org/december-2022